How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JGM Your Own Question
JGM, Solicitor
Category: Scots Law
Satisfied Customers: 12176
Experience:  30 years as a practising solicitor.
Type Your Scots Law Question Here...
JGM is online now

move from linithgow to livingston

This answer was rated:

B ased in Linlithgow but currently the building has been closed for major works and everyone has been moved to Lomond House in Livingston. My boss has now stated he wishes me based in Civic Centre in Livingston till someone comes back on materity leave. Probably a year as just start. The planned move back to the building in Linlithgow is September. Can he move me without an consultation. What can I do

Thank you for your question.

What does your contract of employment say about location and relocation?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

don't think there was anything in my contract about locations, although I got it 37 years ago and don't know where it is.


If it's that old it's doubtful. I would say that your employer has to consult you, however an employer is entitled to make reasonable adjustments in the interests of the business. If the employer can justify the move and if the can argue that there is no role for you at the original place of employment then they can ask you to relocate. If you are not happy with this then their alternative would be to make your job redundant.

Happy to discuss further.
JGM and other Scots Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thank you for your help, thought that might be the case