How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JGM Your Own Question
JGM, Solicitor
Category: Scots Law
Satisfied Customers: 12067
Experience:  30 years as a practising solicitor.
Type Your Scots Law Question Here...
JGM is online now

I moved into my mum and dads house to look after my ill dad

This answer was rated:

I moved into my mum and dads house to look after my ill dad unfortunately my dad died my mum is in an nursing home now they want to throw me out to pay my mums fees in the nursing home what is my position is there anything I can do to safe guard my future.
Thank you for your question.

What age are you?

Did you give up your own home to look after your dad? How long did you live with him as his carer?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I gave up a council house and I lived with him for 12weeks

What age are you?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

54 and I have a 18 yr son who lives with me

In your situation, there is no automatic disregard of the property as you are under 60. However, because you have given up your own home to look after your father, the local authority has a discretion to disregard the property and you should ask them to do so on the basis that you will be homeless.

You should read this article which I hope should help you:
JGM and other Scots Law Specialists are ready to help you