How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JGM Your Own Question
JGM, Solicitor
Category: Scots Law
Satisfied Customers: 12190
Experience:  30 years as a practising solicitor.
Type Your Scots Law Question Here...
JGM is online now

My mother enjoys liferent in the family home owned by myself

This answer was rated:

My mother enjoys liferent in the family home owned by myself and siblings. Regrettably she has recently had to move to nursing home accommodation and will not return to the house. It is our intention to sell the house shortly however would like to know what we have to do to remove the sale restriction. My sister and myself hold a joint power of attorney over our mothers affairs
Thank you for your question.

Well done for having a power of attorney drawn up! Many don't and have to go to court for the powers necessary to renounce a liferent.

However, you and your sister can execute a renunciation of the liferent on behalf of your mother and this can be registered along with the title deed when the house is transferred to the new owner. The solicitor dealing with the sale can draft the renunciation for you.

Happy to discuss further.

I hope this helps. Please leave a positive response so that I am credited for my time.
JGM and other Scots Law Specialists are ready to help you