How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JGM Your Own Question
JGM, Solicitor
Category: Scots Law
Satisfied Customers: 12176
Experience:  30 years as a practising solicitor.
Type Your Scots Law Question Here...
JGM is online now

My son was charged with sectarian offence almost 3years ago.

This answer was rated:

My son was charged with sectarian offence almost 3years ago. He pled guilty and was fined. He has applied for a job which he disclosed at the interview stage. He was offered a job, given a start date so handed in his notice 2months ago and wasn't getting started until the disclosure came through. He received a copy "for his records" and was told by the agency he was unlikely to get the job. How long until this offence is spent? He is now without a job, has a mortgage etc and no income.
Thank you for your question.

A conviction involving a fine is spent after a year for someone over the age of 18 at the date of conviction and six months for someone under 18 at the date of conviction.

I hope this helps. Please leave a positive response so that I am credited for my time.
JGM and other Scots Law Specialists are ready to help you