How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JGM Your Own Question
JGM, Solicitor
Category: Scots Law
Satisfied Customers: 12198
Experience:  30 years as a practising solicitor.
Type Your Scots Law Question Here...
JGM is online now

I am the owner of the marital home and Im separated from my

Customer Question

I am the owner of the marital home and I'm separated from my wife.
My wife stays there with our son and has a string men visiting the house. I pay the mortgage and utility bills. Can I stop her having men visit my house?
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Scots Law
Expert:  JGM replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for your question.

In terms of ownership, no, you can't because your wife has a right to occupy the house by virtue of being your spouse. You can't dictate to he who she can't have to the house.

However, if you think your wife's behaviour isn't in the best interests of your son you can apply to the court for a specific issue order whereby the court could order your wife not to entertain a string of male friends whilst your son is at the house.

I hope this helps. Please leave a positive response so that I am credited for my time.