How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JGM Your Own Question
JGM, Solicitor
Category: Scots Law
Satisfied Customers: 12088
Experience:  30 years as a practising solicitor.
Type Your Scots Law Question Here...
JGM is online now

I bought a laptop on gumtree, the description says "fully working"

This answer was rated:

I bought a laptop on gumtree, the description says "fully working" but in fact it's a broken one and should be sold as spares and repairs. I've reported this incident to Action Fraud. Is there anything else I can do about it? Thanks.
Thank you for your question.

If this is a private sale you have no claim under the a Sale of Goods Act but you can sue the seller for damages for misrepresentation.

I hope this helps. Please leave a positive response so that I am credited for my time.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks. But what if I don't have her full name? I only have her address and a phone number.

You'll need the name before you can do anything further. If you have the address you might get the name from council tax records. If all else fails you may have to get an enquiry agent to help you.
JGM and other Scots Law Specialists are ready to help you