How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JGM Your Own Question
JGM, Solicitor
Category: Scots Law
Satisfied Customers: 12180
Experience:  30 years as a practising solicitor.
Type Your Scots Law Question Here...
JGM is online now

My husband left me one year ago. I am 64. Can I claim for

This answer was rated:

My husband left me one year ago. I am 64. Can I claim for soome of his pension. I am selling the house to move away from the area which he agrees to and it is in my sole name.


Thank you for your question.

Both parties are entitled to a fair share of matrimonial property which is all property acquired since the marriage by either or both parties excluding gifts or inheritances from third parties.

If the house was bought after the marriage your husband is entitled to a share of that. You are entitled to a share of his pension. All assets would usually be divided so that each person gets an equal share in value of the entire matrimonial property.

So for example if you get the whole proceeds of the house, you may not be entitled to anything else depending on the values concerned.

Happy to discuss further.

I hope this helps. Please leave a positive response so that I am credited for my time.
JGM and other Scots Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you. That is helpful