How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JGM Your Own Question
JGM, Solicitor
Category: Scots Law
Satisfied Customers: 12088
Experience:  30 years as a practising solicitor.
Type Your Scots Law Question Here...
JGM is online now

My partner is going through the divorce process at present.

This answer was rated:

My partner is going through the divorce process at present. It has been messy to say the least. Today he received an email from his wife stating that she had put up with me interfering with the divorce and her children and that I had been verbally abusive and aggressive towards her. I have never spoken to his wife, nor met her, nor communicated with her in any way. She sent this email to her solicitor and to my partner. What can I do legally about this? Can I pursue a civil action against her for defamation? Can I get a solicitor to write on my behalf asking for a retraction? Also, can my partner pursue this matter in anyway legally, as the email was sent to him - not me?

Thanks in advance
Thank you for your question.

His solicitor can deny the allegations. Your solicitor can also write to deny the allegations. I wouldn't raise proceedings for defamation. Such actions are very expensive to run and you won't get your costs back easily.

Happy to discuss further.

I hope this helps. Please leave a positive response so that I am credited for my time.
JGM and other Scots Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Just an update. I have seen my solicitor who is having the sheriff office deliver a 'cease and desist' letter to her. We are hopeful that this will stop any further issues.