How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JGM Your Own Question
JGM, Solicitor
Category: Scots Law
Satisfied Customers: 12176
Experience:  30 years as a practising solicitor.
Type Your Scots Law Question Here...
JGM is online now

Hi, I wish to divorce my husband of 20 years. We have been

Customer Question

Hi, I wish to divorce my husband of 20 years. We have been apart for 2 years with 2 children, 8 and 18. I am not entitled to legal aid and as I am on my own I need to know the cost before I proceed.
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Scots Law
Expert:  JGM replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for your question.

Different solicitors will charge different rates so you are right to shop around. As you have an eight year old you can't use the quickie divorce procedure and have to use ordinary procedure.

This has to be done by a solicitor and if I was quoting for it would charge £1600 including VAT and outlays.

Happy to discuss further.

I hope this helps. Please leave a positive response so that I am credited for my time.
Expert:  JGM replied 3 years ago.
That figure above assumes everything has been agreed and there are no contentious issues involving children or money. If there are, the fixed fee would not be appropriate and a rate of £190 per hour plus VAT and outlays would be charged.