How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JGM Your Own Question
JGM, Solicitor
Category: Scots Law
Satisfied Customers: 12076
Experience:  30 years as a practising solicitor.
Type Your Scots Law Question Here...
JGM is online now

i recently applied for my company to be struck off the companies

This answer was rated:

i recently applied for my company to be struck off the companies house register and have received a reply saying that this application has been refused as i owe vat and corporation tax. the total amount owed is about 3000GBP. can be per sued by HMRC for this. There are no other debts involved to other stakeholders. I want to start a new business but wonder will this situation get in the way of it.
Thank you for your question.

The company can be sued by HMRC for the outstanding tax and until it's paid you won't be able to have the company removed from the register.

However this will not stop you starting a new company. As you will appreciate many people own two or more companies all with different financial positions. No one can stop you opening up a new company just because the old company has debt.

I hope this helps. Please leave a positive response so that I am credited for my time.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Is it likely that the company can be sued for such a small amount. I understood that limited company meant that it was the company and not me that was liable for the VAT and tax debt.

The company can be sued for that amount, not you personally. If the company has no assets it's unlikely that the Revenue would proceed.
JGM and other Scots Law Specialists are ready to help you