How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JGM Your Own Question
JGM, Solicitor
Category: Scots Law
Satisfied Customers: 12179
Experience:  30 years as a practising solicitor.
Type Your Scots Law Question Here...
JGM is online now

Hi there. A woman is married to a man. The woman wishes to

Customer Question

Hi there. A woman is married to a man. The woman wishes to take divorce from him. He holds some personal information on her and is threatening her to expose her is she takes divorce from him. What does the law say? Can you write a letter to the husband advising him to stay away from her and do not intimidate her and stop him from exposing her?
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Scots Law
Expert:  JGM replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for your question.

This is blackmail and is a criminal offence. You can also ask for a civil court order preventing him from doing what he has threatened.

You should instruct a solicitor to write a letter in the first instance.

I hope this helps. Please leave a positive response so that I am credited for my time.