How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JGM Your Own Question
JGM, Solicitor
Category: Scots Law
Satisfied Customers: 12190
Experience:  30 years as a practising solicitor.
Type Your Scots Law Question Here...
JGM is online now

Social work wants to take my out of control daughter into care.

This answer was rated:

Social work wants to take my out of control daughter into care. It is impacting on my younger daughter. They are creating more problems than they solve.
Thank you for your question.

What do you want to happen?

-Could you explain your situation a little more?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hi. I want them to support us and us work with them. Just come from a very hostile meeting where I expressed my aversion to respite care but ongoing support from mental health workers. They are concerned about crisis events when she literally freaks out. I feel respite would make her feel more isolated. They also went to question my younger daughter without my permission. They accept the younger one is not at risk from us and commend our parenting. When I mentioned legal advice they were critical and said that was not helpful to the process. I suppose I want to know what they can and cannot do. Thanks
What age is your daughter and what is the nature of her problem?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
She is 14 and self harms. When we impose a sanction such as grounding or removal of phone she becomes very aggressive and can be violent. This can go on for days. She will also self harm and show us. Then refuses treatment. As a result my 9 year old has been exposed to all of it despite our trying for that not to happen. Thanks
The problem is that the SW may take the view that if she is danger or a danger to your other child they may have no option but to take her into care. However, would that actually help her do you think? What can be offered in care that you can't offer her at home?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I think it will be on the basis that it is respite. Once they are satisfied my other daughter is okay can I ask them to leave her alone unless anything new happens? That's really what I need to know. You have been very helpful. Thanks
Yes, you can. I suspect that is one of their main concerns, the welfare of your other daughter.
JGM and other Scots Law Specialists are ready to help you