How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JGM Your Own Question
JGM, Solicitor
Category: Scots Law
Satisfied Customers: 12183
Experience:  30 years as a practising solicitor.
Type Your Scots Law Question Here...
JGM is online now

My wife has left me. I have the house and pay the mortgage

This answer was rated:

My wife has left me. I have the house and pay the mortgage with no contribution from her from my bank account, we do not have a joint bank account. All bills, direct debits, mortgage etc have always been paid out of my account for the last 14 years. We have 3 school age children and live in Scotland, what is my position with regards XXXXX XXXXX ownership?
Thank you for your question.

In whose name is XXXXX XXXXX? Joint title or in your sole name? When was the house bought? When were you married?

-Could you explain your situation a little more?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

House in joint names, owned house for 13 years, married for 12. Wifes part time income has never been used for payment of any type of bills

Thanks for your reply. If the house is disposed of your wife will be entitled to a half of the free proceeds of sale. The fact you have paid the mortgage and other bills over the period doesn't matter. The court treats the family home as matrimonial property which falls to be shared fairly between the parties. In this case fair sharing will be deemed to be equal sharing.
JGM and other Scots Law Specialists are ready to help you