How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JGM Your Own Question
JGM, Solicitor
Category: Scots Law
Satisfied Customers: 12091
Experience:  30 years as a practising solicitor.
Type Your Scots Law Question Here...
JGM is online now

Can the pursuer of a small claim action upgrade the civil action

This answer was rated:

Can the pursuer of a small claim action upgrade the civil action to summary cause? Does he have the right to do so? If so, what are the conditions for switching from small claim to summary cause?
Thank you for your question.

The pursuer does not have a right to ask for the action to be transferred to another procedure such as summary cause. He can ask the sheriff for permission to do so if the sum sued for has to be increased or if there is a point of law which would make small claim procedure inappropriate.

I would be happy to advise further if you can explain your situation a little more.

I hope this helps. Please leave a positive response so that I am credited for my time.
JGM and other Scots Law Specialists are ready to help you