How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JGM Your Own Question
JGM, Solicitor
Category: Scots Law
Satisfied Customers: 12195
Experience:  30 years as a practising solicitor.
Type Your Scots Law Question Here...
JGM is online now

me and my brother were both left a house by my mum, in the

This answer was rated:

me and my brother were both left a house by my mum, in the future he would like to buy me out which is fine but what would happen if he cant buy me out and will not sell the house this would come under scots law
Thank you for your question.

Were this to be the case you would be able to go to the court and ask for an order to sell the property. Your brother would have no defence to the action as the law is that, apart from certain situations under family law, no one is bound to own a house with someone they don't want to own it with. If the owners can't agree what is to happen to the house then the court will simply order it to be sold.

I hope this helps. Please leave a positive response so that I am credited for my time.
JGM and other Scots Law Specialists are ready to help you