How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JGM Your Own Question
JGM, Solicitor
Category: Scots Law
Satisfied Customers: 12183
Experience:  30 years as a practising solicitor.
Type Your Scots Law Question Here...
JGM is online now

my son has 2 girls and is separated from his girlfriend ,she

This answer was rated:

my son has 2 girls and is separated from his girlfriend ,she is asking for money for their upkeep but is unwilling to let my son see his 2 girls unless she is present.
Thank you for your question.

He is bound to pay maintenance whether he sees the children or not. However, a father is entitled to contact with his children unless there are good reasons why it would not be in the interests of the children. Unless the children are very young or there is another good reason there is no reason why she should dictate that she has to be present.

So whilst you can't barter money with contact, if she is being unreasonable he should be going to the court for a contact order to the children.

The maintenance is worked out as a percentage of his earnings and also having regard to how many nights a week he keeps the children. The more nights he has them, the less maintenance he would pay.

Happy to discuss further.

I hope this helps. Please leave a positive response so that I am credited for my time.
JGM and other Scots Law Specialists are ready to help you