How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JGM Your Own Question
JGM, Solicitor
Category: Scots Law
Satisfied Customers: 12188
Experience:  30 years as a practising solicitor.
Type Your Scots Law Question Here...
JGM is online now

I left council house in August last year. After I gave one

This answer was rated:

I left council house in August last year. After I gave one months notice. The Highland Councils inspector checked the house and said all was ok, and passed it.At the time of inspection,he said I could leave electric fire & surround in for next tenant, along with new blinds/curtains.
They sent me a letter a month or so ago, saying they want £276.83 for removing the fire.
I am disabled,74year old, and the worry is huge.
They are threatening me with further action.
I wonder why they waited all this time to threaten me.
Please help me
Thank you for your question.

If you agreed with the inspector that you could leave the items then they are out of order now writing to you. And indeed the money they are seeking seems vastly excessive.

I see you have already written to them. If you don't get a satisfactory reply, go to see your local councillor and he should be able to sort it out with the housing department.

Happy to discuss further.

I hope this helps. Please leave a positive response so that I am credited for my time.
JGM and other Scots Law Specialists are ready to help you