How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JGM Your Own Question
JGM, Solicitor
Category: Scots Law
Satisfied Customers: 12178
Experience:  30 years as a practising solicitor.
Type Your Scots Law Question Here...
JGM is online now

I was convicted of Attempted Extortion in Scotland on 14/3/1977

This answer was rated:

I was convicted of Attempted Extortion in Scotland on 14/3/1977 and paid a £250 fine. I was caught speeding in August 2013 and I was surprised that, after 37 years the Citation mentioned the conviction as a previous record. Is there any way that I can have this deleted from my record?
Thank you for your question.

Unfortunately not. You are not entitled to have a criminal record deleted. Sometimes when the authorities renew their computer systems old criminal records are deleted but there is no requirement to do so nor can you demand or request it's removal.

In real terms, a court would have little or no regard for such a conviction in dealing with a road traffic issue so many years later.

I hope this helps. Please leave a positive response so that I am credited for my time.
JGM and 2 other Scots Law Specialists are ready to help you