How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JGM Your Own Question
JGM, Solicitor
Category: Scots Law
Satisfied Customers: 12071
Experience:  30 years as a practising solicitor.
Type Your Scots Law Question Here...
JGM is online now

I had to leave my matrimonial home, it was my house and my

This answer was rated:

I had to leave my matrimonial home, it was my house and my husband was only added when I had to re mortgage to pay of debt. He now refuses to leave and will not pay anything towards mortgage. I have rent for new house and of course household costs so cannot continue to pay for everything. He wants to stay until Halifax evicts as he will have better chance of getting council house if he is evicted. I have spoke to lawyer and we have asked for quick sale but so far no agreement. It is so unfair that i am going to lose everything because I couldn't take the abuse any more and had to leave. He won't move out
Thank you for your question.

You should have applied for an exclusion order to have your husband removed from the house rather than you having to leave, however the passage of time means that you are unlikely to get a court to grant that now.

Your only realistic option at this stage is to raise a divorce action and ask the court to transfer the house back to you, assuming you can take the mortgage in your own name and buy his share out. If that is not a viable option then you will have to ask the court for an order to have the house sold.

Happy to discuss further.

I hope this helps. Please leave a positive response so that I am credited for my time.
JGM and other Scots Law Specialists are ready to help you