How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JGM Your Own Question
JGM, Solicitor
Category: Scots Law
Satisfied Customers: 12183
Experience:  30 years as a practising solicitor.
Type Your Scots Law Question Here...
JGM is online now

My husband and I have been separated for a year, he sent me

This answer was rated:

My husband and I have been separated for a year, he sent me papers for a DIY divorce, he asked me to sign and I said I would sign if we agreed to a financial settlement, he asked for a price. I told him to make me an offer and he told me to forget it, he would wait for the 2 year threshold. Will I still be entitled to receive a settlement from him after 2 years even though he doesn't need my signature? I have our two daughters (21 and 20 years old) living with me
Thank you for your question.

It is very important that as and when the court sends you the papers for the two year divorce that you write to the court objecting to the divorce on the basis that a financial settlement is yet to be reached. If divorce is granted it will then be too late.

You should take a more proactive approach, however, and get your solicitor to write to your husband with a view to him seeing his own lawyer so that a financial settlement can be negotiated without waiting for the two year period to expire.

I hope this helps. Please leave a positive response so that I am credited for my time.
JGM and other Scots Law Specialists are ready to help you