How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JGM Your Own Question
JGM, Solicitor
Category: Scots Law
Satisfied Customers: 12088
Experience:  30 years as a practising solicitor.
Type Your Scots Law Question Here...
JGM is online now

I live in Scotland and am considering handing keys back to

This answer was rated:

I live in Scotland and am considering handing keys back to accord mortgages as after two years of trying to sell property is in a rental...ex partner on mortgage refusing to pay anything more to mortgage from july 1st and I cant pay all of it on top of rent....can you advise as to "best way " to do this? keen that he has to pay his share of debt if sold for less than mortgage but he thinks he is allowed to just walk away???
Thank you for your question.

You can advise the mortgage company that you are no longer in a position to pay the mortgage and hand the keys back to them. If your ex does the same then the mortgage company will repossess the house and sell it, claiming the shortfall from both of you. Make sure they have his current address! This would all take no more than a few months.

If he doesn't consent and doesn't hand the keys back they will have to formally call up the loan and repossess.

If you are trying to buy a car and need finance then do so beforehand as a repossession will affect your credit rating.

I hope this helps. Please leave a positive response so that I am credited for my time.
JGM and 3 other Scots Law Specialists are ready to help you