How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JGM Your Own Question
JGM, Solicitor
Category: Scots Law
Satisfied Customers: 12179
Experience:  30 years as a practising solicitor.
Type Your Scots Law Question Here...
JGM is online now

I have a friend who is seeking a divorce. Him and his wife

This answer was rated:

I have a friend who is seeking a divorce. Him and his wife have been separated and living apart for 8 years now. They have one son,now aged 17 years. He is at college and my friend is committed to paying the relevant child support monies for the foreseeable future. The bone of contention is the marital home which is occupied by the wife and son. My friend wants the property to be sold, and the equity to be split 50-50. The wife, however, will potentially agree to that type of financial proposal but wants to stay in the house for the next two or three years. Can she be required to sell it or will it take a court order ? Thanks
Thank you for your question.

She cannot be required to sell without a court order unless she agrees to do so.

Your friend would have to raise proceedings for the sale of the house. The court would not order the sale until it was satisfied that all financial issues between husband and wife were resolved and that wife and son had somewhere else to go. The house is a family home and as such parties have occupancy rights as well as rights of ownership.

Happy to discuss further.

I hope this helps. Please leave a positive response so that I am credited for my time.
JGM and other Scots Law Specialists are ready to help you