How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JGM Your Own Question
JGM, Solicitor
Category: Scots Law
Satisfied Customers: 12179
Experience:  30 years as a practising solicitor.
Type Your Scots Law Question Here...
JGM is online now

My mum is in a care home but she has savings of £100,00. Can

This answer was rated:

My mum is in a care home but she has savings of £100,00. Can she give this as a gift to her three children to avoid paying full care home fees? Is this legal? If she spent the money, would this make a difference to the amount she has to pay for her care home?
Thank you for your question.

Can you confirm the amount please £10,000 or £100,000?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
£100,000-sorry forgot the zero
Customer: replied 3 years ago.


Customer: replied 3 years ago.

How long is it before I hear your reply? I understood it was going to be in 15 minutes-Liz

Your mother cannot gift this money to her family and will have to declare it I'm afraid.

If she spends the money or gives it away the local authority will treat this as depravation of capital and will not pay her care home fees for that reason.
JGM and other Scots Law Specialists are ready to help you