How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JGM Your Own Question
JGM, Solicitor
Category: Scots Law
Satisfied Customers: 12176
Experience:  30 years as a practising solicitor.
Type Your Scots Law Question Here...
JGM is online now

Good evening. My ex-husband has decided to move towards putting

This answer was rated:

Good evening. My ex-husband has decided to move towards putting our 2 children (eldest initially) into a weekly boarding school and following this has said he will either reduce or stop maintenance payments. Is he able to do this?
Thank you for your question.

No, he can't. If you are the parent with care and get the child benefit for them then he will still have to pay child support. In addition he can't put them into boarding school without your consent.

I hope this helps. Please leave a positive response so that I am credited for my time.
JGM and other Scots Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for this. Very helpful. Another quick question; we have a private agreement for maintenance. if he challenges the decision to pay maintenance, will I be forced through the CSA as I found in the past they take a very long time to carry out work. Or would I need to go through a solicitor?

If maintenance becomes a disputed issue, the CSA has jurisdiction.