How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ben Jones Your Own Question
Ben Jones
Ben Jones, UK Lawyer
Category: Scots Law
Satisfied Customers: 7
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'
Type Your Scots Law Question Here...
Ben Jones is online now

I cant make full payment of business rates I have offer to

Customer Question

I can't make full payment of business rates I have offer to pay £500 a month they have refused it the rates are for a year arround £33000 payable and we are only open for last one year and business is not doing good right now what can I do can I take it to the court .
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Scots Law
Expert:  JGM replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for your question.

Rates are a tax and can't be taken to court. The council pursue arrears of rates by way of summary warrant. In other words they don't gave to raise an action for payment. They can go straight to enforcement. The warrant can only be challenged if the figure sought is wrong.

Is the amount the council seek the wrong amount?