How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JGM Your Own Question
JGM, Solicitor
Category: Scots Law
Satisfied Customers: 12176
Experience:  30 years as a practising solicitor.
Type Your Scots Law Question Here...
JGM is online now

my niece stays with me and is part owner of a property one

This answer was rated:

my niece stays with me and is part owner of a property one of the owners has rented out the property for the past year and owes my niece approx. £3000 pounds and refuses to pay her. the problem is he is her legal guardian and my niece has stayed with my wife and I since her mother died. I am unable to take a small claim to court on her behalf as I am not her legal guardian she is only 16 years old
Thank you for your question.

Your niece can appoint you as her attorney. You could then deal with any case on her behalf.

I hope this helps. Please leave a positive response so that I am credited for my time.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I'm sure that in Scottish courts that the pursuer of the small claim my niece has to be at least 18 before she can raise the action and appoint a Solicitor
No, 16.
JGM and other Scots Law Specialists are ready to help you