How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JGM Your Own Question
JGM, Solicitor
Category: Scots Law
Satisfied Customers: 12089
Experience:  30 years as a practising solicitor.
Type Your Scots Law Question Here...
JGM is online now

Recent occupiers are failing to maintain the growth of their

Customer Question

Recent occupiers are failing to maintain the growth of their garden vegitation,trees and hedging.Now feels like living in a cocoon with darkness when sun shining...what do we do???
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Scots Law
Expert:  JGM replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for your question.

In the first instance you should speak to your neighbours about this. If this doesn't work you can approach the local authority.

There is a new law in Scotland about this. It is called the High Hedges (Scotland) Act 1913. You can look up the legislation online. However the guidance notes can be found at this link:

If you can't resolve the dispute yourself, you can ask the council to come out and inspect. If the council put an order on the hedge, the neighbours would be bound to do something about it, failing which the council could do something about it and charge them.

I hope this helps. Please leave a positive response so that I am credited for my time.