How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JGM Your Own Question
JGM, Solicitor
Category: Scots Law
Satisfied Customers: 12181
Experience:  30 years as a practising solicitor.
Type Your Scots Law Question Here...
JGM is online now

I live in Edinburgh. I have a mortgage with my partner in

This answer was rated:

I live in Edinburgh. I have a mortgage with my partner in both our names. We have had it two years. I want to end the relationship. Since the beginning of our mortgage i paid the deposit (but didn't get letter confirming this) and have paid all repayments, bills etc. Actually everything to the running of the flat. He has not been working and never contributed. Where do I stand. He is very controlling and this is a lot of my fear.
Thank you for your question.

He would be liable to reimburse you for the contribution you made under the legal principal of unjust enrichment. In other words, because the relationship is at an end it would be unjust that he benefits from your contribution to the property.

If the property is sold you would claim everything back that you have put into the property including his half share of mortgage etc that he didn't pay at the time.

I hope this helps. Please leave a positive response so that I am credited for my time.
JGM and other Scots Law Specialists are ready to help you