How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JGM Your Own Question
JGM, Solicitor
Category: Scots Law
Satisfied Customers: 12186
Experience:  30 years as a practising solicitor.
Type Your Scots Law Question Here...
JGM is online now

My late husbands oldest daughter died 17 years ago leaving

This answer was rated:

My late husbands oldest daughter died 17 years ago leaving 3 boys. When I husband died he left in his will money to the 3 boys but I've now been told that they could make a claim of there legal rights on their grandad estate I'm in Scotland and is this correct. Thank you.
Thank you for your question.
Yes, they could claim their late mother's share of legal rights by way of representation. It would be a share of moveable estate and the amount would depend on what other children your husband had.
If the grandchildren claim legal rights they would forfeit whatever legacy they were left in the will.
Happy to discuss further.
I hope this helps. Please leave a positive response so that I am credited for my time.
JGM and other Scots Law Specialists are ready to help you