How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JGM Your Own Question
JGM, Solicitor
Category: Scots Law
Satisfied Customers: 12177
Experience:  30 years as a practising solicitor.
Type Your Scots Law Question Here...
JGM is online now

My wife and I are going through a divorce and one of my children

This answer was rated:

My wife and I are going through a divorce and one of my children (a 10year old girl) is displaying severe behavioural problems. These have coincided with the escalation of the divorce. I would like my daughter to see a child psychologist. Can I do this independently of my wife or do I need to inform her that I am going to pursue this? Can she stop me from taking my daughter for help?
Thank you for your question.
In terms of the Children (Scotland) Act 1995, both parents have parental rights and responsibilities and accordingly have a duty to discuss this with each other.
Happy to discuss further.
I hope this helps. Please leave a positive response so that I am credited for my time.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thanks. I plan to inform my wife. I just would like to know if she can legally prevent me from getting help for my daughter - by legal means or other?
She can attempt to do so but would have to go to court and the court would then have to decide whether this would be in your daughter's best interests or not.
JGM and other Scots Law Specialists are ready to help you