How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JGM Your Own Question
JGM, Solicitor
Category: Scots Law
Satisfied Customers: 12179
Experience:  30 years as a practising solicitor.
Type Your Scots Law Question Here...
JGM is online now

I have recently had a run in with the designer of my website

This answer was rated:

I have recently had a run in with the designer of my website for my business...I was charged £400 for my homepage only...he quoted £600 to finish the sites other pages...however he has been waiting a few weeks for info and pictures etc. granted it was up to me to supply business has only been operating for two months...cut a long story short he demanded the other £200 from me..despite the fact that only 20% was completed..I assured him that i would do my utmost to get him the required information and then settle the outstanding amount.he replied by saying he couln't pay the server fee unless he had my money...I then told him to delete the site and I would find someone else to do it.Site is deleted but a message appears stating that site had to be shut down due to non payment!! Obviously any of my prospective clients who have a business card and access the site will see this...Is this a case of slander?? and is there anything I can do about it??
Thank you for your question.
This is arguably defamatory as there is clearly a dispute between you and him. It's not just a question of you deliberately not paying for work done. It appears that you have paid out £400 and have no website at all, although a total of £600 for a website is very very cheap in my experience.
However, who is in control of the web address? I presume you own the web address and as such have access to it to make the necessary changes, or get someone else to do it, including removing the offensive remarks.
If not you have to get control of the site and remove this post immediately. Whether you want to go as far as to intimate a claim for defamation or slander is for you to decide. These cases are notoriously hard to quantify in terms of what your loss might be and a solicitor will charge handsomely to deal with a case of defamation.
From a practical point of view, I would tend to concentrate of getting control of the URL and put this down to experience unless you want to be paying a lot of money out on legal costs that you're unlikely to get back.
I hope this helps. Please leave a positive response so that I am credited for my time.
JGM and 2 other Scots Law Specialists are ready to help you