How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JGM Your Own Question
JGM, Solicitor
Category: Scots Law
Satisfied Customers: 12076
Experience:  30 years as a practising solicitor.
Type Your Scots Law Question Here...
JGM is online now

I was removed from my workplace of 17 years under an adult

Customer Question

I was removed from my workplace of 17 years under an adult support and protection order, I don't know why or by whom and I can get no answers from social work. I feel my reputation has been tarnished and my character defamed and it has stalled me from furthering my career in the social care field. I intend to pursue a civil action but I am not sure where to start.
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Scots Law
Expert:  JGM replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for your question.

An order like this is normally to protect you from harm and risk. What is the background here?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Relist: I still need help.
I have been away and want my advice on my Question
Expert:  JGM replied 3 years ago.

An order like this is normally to protect you from harm and risk. What is the background here?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I have worked in the care sector for 28 years, my work record is unblemished and my reputation in my workplace and the local community is exemplary. I had worked for 17 years at the place I was removed from under the adult support and protection order, it was a great service and this noted by outside agencies and most importantly the families of the folks who lived at the service. We had a review team from the social work department who were active in the service and they to we're satisfied with the service provided to the folks who lived there. A group of managers we're were sent to work with us and all sorts of upsets came with them, they were unprofessional, lacked any sort of confidentiality and tried to apply a disciplinarian attitude to a very caring house. We as a group of workers made or displeasure known to the area manager but very little was done. We then heard from family members that these managers had been saying that workers were unprofessioal and institutionalised but had not said anything or went through any codes of practice with the workers in question. To keep this long saga short on the 19th of December 2013 I was removed from the service under an asp order, I was given no explanation and moved to another service with the same group type of vulnerable adults with learning disability. I didn't get to say goodbye to the folks I had worked with for all those years. I have did all in my power to get to the bottom of this action to no avail. I realise that this action taken against me will prevent me from moving into the fostering line in my type of work as would be described as a potential harmer in the form that would have to be completed to remove me under this order.
I believe that I am a victim of an unscrupulous senior care worker who took umbrage at being challenged on her disciplinarian attitude to vulnerable adults and with others abused a very powerful tool to remove me from my service with no proof or official documentation that I had did anything wrong.
I was told at the time that an investigation would take place a d it would probably take three weeks to date I have heard nothing.
I believe that it is my human right to know what I am accused of and by whom, I intend to write to justice the justice secretary with my plight and hopefully be able to bring a civil action against my workplace who incidentally say they have nothing on my records of any bad practice.
I also intend to include South Lanarkshire social work department in this action.
I would ask you how I can take this forward and what the financial implications on myself would be.
Expert:  JGM replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for your reply. It appears to me that you are a victim of managers who know nothing about the job you did and were "box tickers".

Your remedy in the first instance is to write to your employers and say that you want to instigate a grievance for the the way you were treated. They will then have to deal with this as a grievance from you, investigate and issue a response to the grievance.

If that procedure doesn't happen satisfactorily then you may have a case for taking this to court for which you will need to engage a good civil court lawyer. Unless you qualify for legal aid it will cost several thousand pounds. You can check whether you qualify for civil legal aid at

I hope this helps. Please leave a positive rating son that I am credited for my time.