How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JGM Your Own Question
JGM, Solicitor
Category: Scots Law
Satisfied Customers: 12072
Experience:  30 years as a practising solicitor.
Type Your Scots Law Question Here...
JGM is online now

Besides going to the ombudsman and complaining about treatment,

This answer was rated:

Besides going to the ombudsman and complaining about treatment, are there any other bodies or individuals, public or private, who will discuss and possibly support patients in their possible (human) rights to treatment which actually addresses the patient's concerns (rather than what is convenient to the state/NHS/GP practices)? Supposedly public bodies like c.a.b and regional advocacy services have N.H.S logoes on them etc. The reason why I am reluctant to go forward with official complaints is that in my lengthy experience they tend to wriggle out of things and try to 'redirect'.
Thank you for your question.
The only other way to deal with this situation, other than the others you mention, is to see a solicitor and ask him or her to take on your case.
I hope this helps. Please leave a positive response so that I am credited for my time.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

You haven't mentioned the GMC. I really was expecting information from you about what the laws actually are eg where it says in the constitution that people have rights to be 'taken seriously'. If people are simply ignored and are dogmatically told they don't have the symptoms they say they have then possibly fatal diseases will go undiagnosed, however melodramatic that may be said to sound. Mocking cynicism has no place in medicine and I am wondering what laws reflect that

I didn't mention the GMC because you said you were reluctant to go ahead with official complaints. You can of course go down this route.
There is no constitution in Scotland. Action against a doctor would be taken under common law, specifically the law of delict. The pursuing party would require to prove that the doctor acted negligently and in a manner that no doctor, acting with reasonable care would have done.
Happy to discuss further.
JGM and other Scots Law Specialists are ready to help you