How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JGM Your Own Question
JGM, Solicitor
Category: Scots Law
Satisfied Customers: 12179
Experience:  30 years as a practising solicitor.
Type Your Scots Law Question Here...
JGM is online now

A field drain runs through my front garden.In times of heavy

This answer was rated:

A field drain runs through my front garden.In times of heavy rain the water comes up and flows onto the public footpath. I have excavated and exposed the field drain and pushed a drain rod to almost the middle of the street basically proving that the blockage is in the road. Both Scottish water and the roads dept say it is not their responsibility. They say responsibility lies with the home owner. My concern is that in winter the public footpath freezes up,someone slips and instigates a claim. Who would be liable as the blockage is under the public road. Your views please.
Thank you for your question.
You are responsible for your drainage up to the boundary of your property. The boundary in terms of your title deeds could be to the middle of the road but if the roads, footpaths and sewers have been adopted by the local authority, Scottish Water are responsible for a blockage under the road.
Happy to discuss further.
I hope this helps. Please leave a positive response so that I am credited for my time.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks for your swift reply. Scottish water say it,s not their problem. I don't want to be sued by someone slipping on the pavement. Who would be liable if someone slipped.? It is an old drain.


On what basis do they say that if the drain works and it's their pipe that's blocked?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

It,s an old field drain and I'm not sure who would have ownership of it. I do understand that if the blockage was in my property the problem would be mine. It,s blocked in their road. Could you please advise who you think would be liable if a claim were to arise

The person liable to fix th blockage would be responsible. If that's not on your land then I don't see that you could be responsible.
JGM and other Scots Law Specialists are ready to help you