How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JGM Your Own Question
JGM, Solicitor
Category: Scots Law
Satisfied Customers: 12188
Experience:  30 years as a practising solicitor.
Type Your Scots Law Question Here...
JGM is online now

Separation from a Partner

This answer was rated:

My Brother has just separated from his partner (about 2 weeks ago - he was told to leave). They have 2 children (8 and 12) and have been renting her father's house. They have a joint bank account in which my brothers redundancy of approx £10k was put into. He used some of the money to redecorate the children's bedrooms but last night he found that he had much less money remaining as she has taken out a couple thousand pounds since the separation. Can he get legal aid for a Solicitor and can he go into the house (he still has keys) and take out items which he paid for (he initially left with his clothes and his car and is temporarily living with our Mum).


Thank you for your question.
He can get legal aid for this type of case depending on his financial circumstances. He check out the calculators at
If the tenancy of the fathers house is joint he is entitled to access to the house. If he has keys he should just wait until she is out to avoid confrontation. Property purchased during the relationship is deemed joint property unless one or other party establishes that they acquired it.
It goes without saying that he should clear the joint account of the balance of his money if she is removing large amounts as you describe.
Happy to discuss further.
I hope this helps. Please leave a positive response so that I am credited for my time.
JGM and 2 other Scots Law Specialists are ready to help you