How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JGM Your Own Question
JGM, Solicitor
Category: Scots Law
Satisfied Customers: 12183
Experience:  30 years as a practising solicitor.
Type Your Scots Law Question Here...
JGM is online now

I contacted a firm of solicitors with regard to compensation

This answer was rated:

I contacted a firm of solicitors with regard to compensation for my suffering as a child in an orphanage in Scotland & was informed that there is a cut off period for claims which stopped in 1964.
Can you please advise me?
Thank you for your question.
The rule in Scotland is that an action like that has to be raised within three years of your eighteenth birthday or within three years of the date on which you became aware or reasonably ought to have been aware that any injury or condition results from your treatment as a child.
There are exceptions to the rule if the court considers that it reasonable to allow you to bring the claim but it is very difficult to persuade the court to do so. You would have to take very detailed advice on your specific circumstances from a specialist solicitor.
I can give you a case which you can read so that you can see the issues that might arise. I will post a link for you after I post this narrative.
I hope this helps. Please leave a positive response so that I am credited for my time.
Here's the link I promised you above.
JGM and other Scots Law Specialists are ready to help you