How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JGM Your Own Question
JGM, Solicitor
Category: Scots Law
Satisfied Customers: 12183
Experience:  30 years as a practising solicitor.
Type Your Scots Law Question Here...
JGM is online now

I had a business in Scotland I had 2 people looking after the

This answer was rated:

I had a business in Scotland I had 2 people looking after the business for me while I was away that came recommended by a friend. I became suspicious that things weren't going well even though my friends kept telling me everything was fine, when I returned my house had been trashed and all the bills where huge anyway to cut a long story short i told them to leave but had no option but to let them finish with the bookings they had taken (it was a cattery ) after I left they told me in writing they had cheques to the tune of nearly 300 pounds for me I said to put them in the bank, they were obviously annoyed that I had asked them to leave the property even though I did it as nicely as possible making excuses as to why I was closing, I have asked them several times about the cheques that never reached my bank, they will not reply to emails. I asked the neighbour who had recommended them to find out about them and they admitted to her that they just threw them out !! 300 pounds Is there anything I can do ??
Thank you for your question.
Yes there is. You agreed with these people that they would run your business. Presumably you were paying them. They had a duty of care to you to run things in a competent manner. They refused to do so and as such you are entitled to claim damages for their breach of contract and breach of duty. The extent of the claim would have to be quantified having regard to how bad they actually were as opposed to them carrying out their duties in a proper manner.
You can raise proceedings for damages in the small claim court if the sum used for is less than £3000.
Happy to discuss further.
I hope this helps. Please leave a positive response so that I am credited for my time.
JGM and other Scots Law Specialists are ready to help you