How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JGM Your Own Question
JGM, Solicitor
Category: Scots Law
Satisfied Customers: 12071
Experience:  30 years as a practising solicitor.
Type Your Scots Law Question Here...
JGM is online now

can you legally divert water away from your property if it

This answer was rated:

can you legally divert water away from your property if it is running off a road into your property? If so, what happens if that moves onto a neighbour?
Thank you for your question.
You can take steps to divert water from your property but you can't do it in such a way as it causes a nuisance to other neighbours. They have a common law right, and usually a right in their title deeds to peaceable enjoyment of their property.
From your description the council should not be allowing the water to run across the main road so the starting place would be the braes owner and the council.
I hope this helps. Please leave a positive response so that I am credited for my time.
JGM and 3 other Scots Law Specialists are ready to help you