How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JGM Your Own Question
JGM, Solicitor
Category: Scots Law
Satisfied Customers: 12195
Experience:  30 years as a practising solicitor.
Type Your Scots Law Question Here...
JGM is online now

My husband pays a fixed sum of alimony to his ex wife. The

This answer was rated:

My husband pays a fixed sum of alimony to his ex wife. The financial agreement they signed up to says that if his financial circumstances improve he must give a percentage of that to his ex wife. I've just got a job. Does my salary count as an improvement in his financial circumstances?
Thank you for your question.
What is the precise wording of the relevant section of the agreement?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

a) The sum payable by Mr Farrell to Mrs Farrell (meaning the ex Mrs Farrell) as described in Clause 4 (a) hereof shall be varied dependent on any increase or decrease in Mr Farrell’s income. Should there be any increase or decrease then the sum paid to Mrs Farrell shall increase or decrease by the same percentage as Mr Farrell’s income increases or decreases. Any such variation shall be made following the production of Mr Farrell’s P60 annually to Mrs Farrell. That said increase or decrease will be based on the figures produced in said P60.

Your salary is irrelevant. Only an increase or decrease in your husband's salary would trigger this clause.
JGM and other Scots Law Specialists are ready to help you