How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JGM Your Own Question
JGM, Solicitor
Category: Scots Law
Satisfied Customers: 12195
Experience:  30 years as a practising solicitor.
Type Your Scots Law Question Here...
JGM is online now

I have a multipurpose arts centre. One of the resident artists

This answer was rated:

I have a multipurpose arts centre. One of the resident artists owes £3000 in rent. He has been given lots of space to deal with this issue. And hasn't. Yesterday his studio in my building was served with notice from sheriff officers. He has some equipment in the space he rents from me. What are my rights ?
Thank you for your question.
Do you have a written lease with this tenant?
If so what does it say about non payment?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thanks for your response
Yes we have a written lease with this tenant. Because of the nature of this particular arts related business there is flexibility if someone happens to not be able to fulfill the lease agreement which is set at a monthly amount the usual procedure is a conversation which results in the rent arrears being paid off over a particular time. This process, being flexible has worked for 13 years. Except with this particular resident. Who has consistently been deceptive verbally and scripturally.
If you require any more info. I will of course supply.
Craig McKechnie
Artist/Director. Delta Studios The Creative Centre
Most commercial leases provide for a notice of irritancy to be served where there is a brach of the lease and then an action for payment of rent and removing would be raised. A landlord also has a right of hypothec or security over any of the tenants property left on the premises.
Happy to look at the lease for you if you can scan and email to***@******.*** and ask the moderator to send to JGM. Or if you have a blank lease just cut and paste it into the narrative box.
JGM and other Scots Law Specialists are ready to help you