How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JGM Your Own Question
JGM, Solicitor
Category: Scots Law
Satisfied Customers: 12183
Experience:  30 years as a practising solicitor.
Type Your Scots Law Question Here...
JGM is online now

Hi I wonder if you could help me...We renovated a cottage on

This answer was rated:

Hi I wonder if you could help me...We renovated a cottage on the west coast of Scotland seven years ago... There were numerous hill trenches running alongside said cottage and were prone to flooding because the landowner did not maintain said trenches.... Eventually during the build after a storm one trench burst it's wall and flooded our cottage and land, approximately five thousand gallons, we put in emergency piping to help offset the amount of water which has beneficial, the shutter and drain are on neighbours land but the pipe work we put in runs into existing drainage on our land , new neighbours want to put extra pipe work in on their land but have approached us to pay half the cost...I'm struggling to see why we should pay half ..... Any advice
Thank you for your question.
My advice is that you have the title deeds examined both for your property and the neighbouring one to see what the deeds say about the cost of drainage and the installation, maintenance or renewal thereof. If there is nothing to suggest you should be liable for half the cost then you are not liable to pay a half share of the cost. Almost invariably, the title deeds govern this type of situation in Scots property law.
Happy to discuss further.
I hope this helps. Please leave a positive response so that I am credited for my time.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hi, thank you for your answer.
Just to clarify...does this law still apply if the actual trench is NOT on our land but runs adjacent? Is actually a hill drain running onto neighbours land?
We put run off pipes in to stop flooding on OUR land and it has achieved that purpose to the benefit of our land, I apologise if I'm being a little dense
Yes, if the titles say so, and generally only if the titles say so, it is entirely possible that you could be liable for the cost of maintnance, repair and renewal of pipes on adjacent land if your own property is affected by them or uses them in some way.
JGM and other Scots Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thank you so much for your help and speedy reply.
Have a great week
You're welcome.