How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JGM Your Own Question
JGM, Solicitor
Category: Scots Law
Satisfied Customers: 12199
Experience:  30 years as a practising solicitor.
Type Your Scots Law Question Here...
JGM is online now

We have an issue with a previous landlord, someone who is renowned

This answer was rated:

We have an issue with a previous landlord, someone who is renowned for being a difficult and obstructive landlord in the area. He has erroneously tried to take all of our deposit and we have referred the case to the Letting Protection Service.
This has incensed him and as revenge, he has contacted our new landlords and told them all sorts of lies about us. We can prove these are lies.
We would like to send him a Cease & Desist letter. Can we do this? Who specialises in this in Scotland?
Thank you for your question.
The lies he has told are defamatory statements and are actionable as such. A cease and desist letter is simply a letter warning that action will be taken in the event that the untrue statements continue as a result of which you suffer loss and damage.
There is no great science to such a letter and any civil court solicitor will be able to help you.
Happy to discuss further.
I hope this helps. Please leave a positive response so that I am credited for my time.
JGM and other Scots Law Specialists are ready to help you