How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JGM Your Own Question
JGM, Solicitor
Category: Scots Law
Satisfied Customers: 12181
Experience:  30 years as a practising solicitor.
Type Your Scots Law Question Here...
JGM is online now

I'm looking to get divorced. My husband is english. We got

This answer was rated:

I'm looking to get divorced. My husband is english. We got married in england in 2004. 3 years ago our marriage fell apart and i went back to South Africa to spend some time with my family. I spent almost 2 years in South Africa (as my visa allows) and have been back in the UK for over a year now already. I currently live in Scotland and have done so for 8 months. Can i apply for a divorce in Scotland?
Thank you for your question.
Yes you can, as you are now habitually resident in Scotland. If you have no children to your husband you can use the simplified procedure divorce by applying to the sheriff court nearest to you. You don't need a solicitor for this, just the completed form, your marriage certificate and the court fee and it takes about six weeks.
See this link:
I hope this helps. Please leave a positive response so that I am credited for my time.
JGM and other Scots Law Specialists are ready to help you