How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JGM Your Own Question
JGM, Solicitor
Category: Scots Law
Satisfied Customers: 12092
Experience:  30 years as a practising solicitor.
Type Your Scots Law Question Here...
JGM is online now

My husband and I are in the process of a divorce in Scotland.

Customer Question

My husband and I are in the process of a divorce in Scotland. He did not contest the initial writ within the 21 days period. Therefore the minute of decree has gone to the Sheriff to make a decision. My husband has now belatedly told me he wants me to stop the divorce - but says he will not contest. Is stopping the process even possible in practical terms, if I decided I wanted to?
This is a Scottish case.
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Scots Law
Expert:  JGM replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for your question.
Yes he can stop the process. The Scottish system has to deal with
So it may be that the court will not make a decision as your husband has delayed for such a period.
Happy to discuss further.
I hope this helps. Please leave a positive response so that I am credited for my time.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.


Thank you for your answer.

My understanding was that he had to respond within the 21 days. He did not. He now wants ME to stop the divorce, not him. The papers have already been submitted to the Sheriff and I am awaiting a decision.

Can you clarify?

Thank you

Expert:  JGM replied 3 years ago.
If he hasn't entered the action only you can stop the case by withdrawing the minute for decree. It's up to you whether you want to do that or not.