How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JGM Your Own Question
JGM, Solicitor
Category: Scots Law
Satisfied Customers: 12183
Experience:  30 years as a practising solicitor.
Type Your Scots Law Question Here...
JGM is online now

I want to file for divorce. We married in November scotia

This answer was rated:

I want to file for divorce. We married in Nova  scotia canada in 1997 but have been separate for over 5 years. We are in good terms and there are no children involved. She lives in scotland uk and i am now living in qatar for work reasons. We are both UK citizen where I have dual citizenship as a Canadian. We both agree to the proceedings. where can I file for divorce. How can I do this being in qatar and she living in scotland. We Co own a house in scotland where she lives and have a joint mortgage.  Legal papers were made to reflect us being separated and drawned out to both of us as Co owners. I am not seekeing the sale of the house and want to keep the business arrangement of being co owner. Please advise. Thank you

Thank you for your question.
You should raise your divorce in the sheriff court in Scotland nearest to where your wife lives.
Here is the form:
You complete and send the form to the court along with your marriage certificate and the current court fee. The divorce will come throught in about six weeks.
I hope this helps. Please leave a positive response so that I am credited for my time.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for your prompt reply. Can I do all this long distance from Qatar as I don't plan to return to UK in the foreseeable future. Do I need attestation from the British embassy in Qatar?


You can do this from Qatar but your signature has to be witnessed by a Notary Public or Justice of the Peace or Commissioner for Oaths. You would have to see if anyone in the embassy could fulfil such a role.
If not, you would have to come to Scotland for this to be done. Alternatively your wife could raise the divorce against you from Scotland and the court would send the papers to you instead of the other way round.
JGM and other Scots Law Specialists are ready to help you