How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JGM Your Own Question
JGM, Solicitor
Category: Scots Law
Satisfied Customers: 12079
Experience:  30 years as a practising solicitor.
Type Your Scots Law Question Here...
JGM is online now

Hi My un married daughter made the mistake of adding her

This answer was rated:

Hi My un married daughter made the mistake of adding her ex partners name to her childs birth certificate. They seperated 6 and a half years ago (child is 7yrs). We are aware of parental responsibility law which prevents name change till 16yrs. (Ex partner is uncooperative and never sees child) Question - His primary school state he must currently be called by his fathers surname which is causing him confusion and upset as he does not know his father. Father spends as much time in gaol as walking the streets. Is it possible to complete a document which requires the school to use a "known as" alternative surname, as opposed to a legal name change? I have heard there is a form supplied by Registry Office?

Thank you for your question.
The school can't dictate to your daughter in this way. She can write to the school and insist that she wishes her son to be known by her surname and the school has to respect that.
Happy to discuss further.
I hope this helps. Please leave a positive response so that I am credited for my time.
JGM and other Scots Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.


Do you know if there is a special form?

We can write a letter but I was left wondering.

No, there is no form that I am aware of.