How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JGM Your Own Question
JGM, Solicitor
Category: Scots Law
Satisfied Customers: 12180
Experience:  30 years as a practising solicitor.
Type Your Scots Law Question Here...
JGM is online now

My daughter recently separated from her husband of 3 years

This answer was rated:

My daughter recently separated from her husband of 3 years and has been advised to obtain a Separation Agreement. She has downloaded a Deed of Separation template - in Scottish law is this the same as a Separation Agreement?
Thank you for your question.
A template will give the general layout and style of a separation agreement. It will not, however, personalise the documents into what is probably required between the parties.
A separation agreement is a very important document between husband and wife as it deals with issues involving children and finances. It is not a document that should be self drafted. Both parties should take separate and independent legal advice on the contents of a separation agreement. If they do not take legal advice, there are circumstances where by the courts may refuse to recognise the separation agreement.
I hope this helps. Please leave a positive response so that I am credited for my time.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Sorry but the question was is a Deed of Separation the same thing as a Separation Agreement in Scots law?

The term Deed of Separation is never used in Scotland. Separation Agreement, Minute of Agreement perhaps. I suspect the Deed of Separation if it's downloaded from the Internet will be English and therefore of no use.
JGM and other Scots Law Specialists are ready to help you