How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JGM Your Own Question
JGM, Solicitor
Category: Scots Law
Satisfied Customers: 12301
Experience:  30 years as a practising solicitor.
Type Your Scots Law Question Here...
JGM is online now

I am a self employed Taxi Driver, in Scotland, working under

This answer was rated:

I am a self employed Taxi Driver, in Scotland, working under the umbrella of a Taxi Company to whom I pay a weekly fee for work via a Data Head. We have recently been informed that if our car is off the road we will still have to pay this fee.
Please advise
Thank you for your question.
As you are self employed this issue is dealt with under the contract you have with the company. If this was never the situation before, then a contractual term can't be changed unilaterally and without agreement.
This is obviously easier to establish of there is an original, written contract. However, even if there isn't, if this is a new thing they are trying to bring in, they can only do so if there is agreement.
The difficulty of course is enforcing an agreement. If you don't agree with what they are trying to do your remedy is either to go to court or to find another job elsewhere.
Happy to discuss further.
I hope this helps. Please leave a positive response so that I am credited for my time.
JGM and other Scots Law Specialists are ready to help you