How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JGM Your Own Question
JGM, Solicitor
Category: Scots Law
Satisfied Customers: 12182
Experience:  30 years as a practising solicitor.
Type Your Scots Law Question Here...
JGM is online now

In Scotland. Children visiting separated Dad. They should be

This answer was rated:

In Scotland. Children visiting separated Dad. They should be going home tonight. He is refusing to send them home to their mother. What can she do?
Thank you question. I am a Scots solicitor and will help you with this.
Please tell me:
1. Ages of the children.
2. Were the parents married?
3. If not when were the children born and is the father on the birth certificates?
4. Is there any court order in respect of residence or contact?
5. What is he reason father refusing to return the children?
6. Is there any formal written agreement?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Children are 6 and 3
They are still married
Father says he wants the children days, which we feel is money motivated ( less support to pay) It was agreed that the children were to be returned today and they were told so however he is refusing to sent them back.
If there are no court orders a father has the same rights as a mother to their children. If the father breaches an agreement to take the children back to the mother then the mother will have to see a solicitor and apply to the court residence order. Mother would ask the court to order that the children"s main home is with the mother and the father has contact at certain times which the court will also order.
At present, whilst it won't do the father's credibility with a court any good if proceedings are raised, he is not in breach of any law by having the children remain with him. There is no law that gives the mother priority over the father. Both parents have equal parental rights and responsibilities. Both are, however, expected to act in th best interests of the children above everything else. If father is not doing that, then it won't do him any good if the case does come before a court.
JGM and other Scots Law Specialists are ready to help you