How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JGM Your Own Question
JGM, Solicitor
Category: Scots Law
Satisfied Customers: 12071
Experience:  30 years as a practising solicitor.
Type Your Scots Law Question Here...
JGM is online now

Does a child born out of mariage in scotland in 1957 but whose

This answer was rated:

Does a child born out of mariage in scotland in 1957 but whose fathers name (the declarant) appear on his birth certificate, registered in 1965, has a right of inheritance to his father's succession (succession opened in 2014) ?
Thank you for your question.
Yes, children born out of wedlock can inherit their parents' estate as long as the parents died after 1968.
I hope this helps. Please leave a positive response so that I am credited for my time.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I would have appreciated to obtain a reference to the law which so enabled children born out of wedlock to inherit.

Originally the Law Reforrm (Miscellaneous Provisions) (Scotland) Act 1968, however now the Law Reform (Parent and Child) (Scotland) Act 1986 are the references you request.
JGM and other Scots Law Specialists are ready to help you